Aaron is chair of the firm’s emerging businesses and technologies group. He concentrates on serving as outside general counsel for technology companies, established corporate stalwarts, venture capital firms and private equity funds.
Aaron has helped clients close an extensive list of venture capital, sale of business and acquisition transactions. In particular, his vast experience representing venture capital firms enables him to share valuable ideas and perspectives with early-stage companies. He advises promising entrepreneurs and start-ups on formational and other matters that are critical to a successful future, as well as more mature companies on various commercial transactions that mark key milestones in their development. With a deep appreciation of the landscape facing each client, Aaron provides seasoned and practical guidance on clients most important business and legal decisions.
Aaron’s experience extends across a wide swath of technologies and industries, including energy, software and e-commerce, information technology, biotechnology, finance, aviation, healthcare and natural resources. This experience encompasses various international commercial and corporate transactions.
Aaron’s pro bono activities reflect a passion for Arizona’s future, including drafting and advising stakeholders on legislation aimed at improving economic development and capital formation in the state. Drawing on his long history with venture capital firms, Aaron has also become an active investor personally in emerging technology companies – playing an important role in supporting the development of tomorrow’s businesses, jobs and growth. He has also worked closely for many years with important nonprofit organizations, such as the Flinn Foundation, Invest Southwest and the YMCA.
Outside of his professional endeavors, Aaron’s eclectic experience has included considerable international travel, extensive scuba diving, many years as a pianist, and internships with U.S. Senator John McCain and a dolphin research facility on Oahu, Hawaii. Most importantly, he cherishes time with his wife and two sons.
- J.D., summa cum laude, Pepperdine University School of Law
- B.S., summa cum laude, Economics, Arizona State University
- B.S., summa cum laude, Finance, Arizona State University
- Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Technology Law, Pepperdine University
- Production and Technology Editor, Pepperdine Law Review, 2003-2004
- Salutatorian, Pepperdine University
- Flinn Scholar, 1997-2001
Areas Of Practice
Our business and finance attorneys represent national, regional and local clients participating in significant transactions.
Our business attorneys recognize and appreciate the value of entrepreneurship and innovation, and are committed to providing efficient, straightforward and business-oriented solutions that facilitate success and avoid pitfalls while recognizing early capital is precious and expensive.
Our health care attorneys serve a range of clients within the ever-expanding realm of healthcare law. We offer a comprehensive suite of services that touches on every aspect of the healthcare industry.
Create. Protect. Thrive.
Your Technology and Intellectual Property Assets Are The Lifeblood Of Your Business: We Partner With You To Protect Your Critical IP —and To Identify and Implement IP Strategies To Help You Thrive.
- Life Sciences
- Renewable Energy and Clean Tech
Venture Capital Transactions:
- Represented a venture capital firm in a Series A preferred stock investment in a lithium polymer battery company.
- Represented a low-Btu gas power plant company in connection with a Series A preferred unit investment by multiple venture capital firms.
- Represented a venture capital firm in a Series B preferred stock investment in a clean tech automotive company.
- Represented a venture capital firm in convertible debt investments in a large scale load leveling battery company.
- Represented a venture capital firm in convertible debt investments in a clean-tech electric motor company with Korean operations.
- Represented an investor in a convertible debt and common stock investment in laser technology company.
M & A Transactions:
- Represented a medical supply company in a sale of assets to a private equity purchaser.
- Represented a heavy industrial components company in a sale of assets to a private equity purchaser.
- Represented an education services company in a sale of stock to a private equity purchaser.
- Represented a behavior health treatment facility in a sale of assets to a private equity purchaser.
- Represented a Fortune 500 waste management company in various sales of waste businesses to private and public strategic buyers.
- Represented a mining company in a sale of stock to a foreign strategic buyer.
- Represented a heavy industrial services company in a purchase of assets for a strategic acquisition.
- Represented an information technology company in a purchase of assets for a strategic acquisition.
- Represented a medical services company in a purchase of assets for a strategic acquisition.
- Represented a construction services company in a purchase of assets for a strategic acquisition.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Commercial Finance Law, Corporate Law, 2013-2022
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Mergers and Acquisitions, 2017-2020
- Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers for Business
- Southwest Rising Stars®, Mergers and Acquisitions, 2013-2014
Articles and Presentations
- Quoted, Phoenix entrepreneur creates RexPay app to cure medical bill mayhem,” AZ Big Media, October 1, 2020
- Speaker, “COVID-19 and Your Contracts,” Chandler Innovations Incubation Program, March 26, 2020
- Speaker, “Startup Entity and IP Issues,” Chandler Innovations Incubation Program, October 2, 2018
- Speaker, “5 Common Startup Mistakes,” SeedSpot Launch Camp, September 28, 2018
- Panelist, “Funding Your Startup Idea Panel,” Chandler Innovations Startup Connection, September 15, 2018
- Speaker, “Solid Legal Foundations for Future Success,” Chandler Innovations powered by NACET, August 16, 2018
- Speaker, “The Money Chain,” The Commons on Champa, July 24, 2016
- Co-author, “Unlocking Venture Capital and Private Equity in Arizona,” Maricopa Lawyer, June 2016
- Quoted, “Arizona’s New Equity Crowdfunding Not For ‘Kickstarter Sissies’,” Phoenix Business Journal, May 13, 2016
- Speaker, “Startup Arizona: Community, Culture and Capital,” Arizona Association for Economic Development, May 10, 2016
- Quoted, “New State Law Eases Venture-Capital Rules,” Arizona Daily Star, April 9, 2016
- Speaker, “Private Equity – Acquiring the Privately-Held Company,” ACC Private Equity Presentation, December 2015
Professional and community activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Public Policy Committee Member, Arizona Technology Council
- Company Mentor, Invest Southwest Capital Conference
- Board Member, Chandler YMCA