C.W. chairs the firm’s business and finance practice group. He practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate law, entity formation, contract law and securities law. He has experience in mergers and acquisitions, representing both buyers and sellers in transactions. C.W. represents entrepreneurs and start-up companies in a variety of corporate matters, including formation and organization of entities, joint ventures, licensing, contract reviews and contract negotiations. He also represents clients in connection with private placements, venture capital investments and other security matters.
His experience extends across a wide range of industries, including technology, software, healthcare, cement, concrete and aggregates, mining and industrial services, automotive and restaurants. C.W. also represents governmental bodies and boards and provides advice and guidance on Arizona Open Meeting Law compliance and related matters.
An accomplished runner, C.W. has completed five marathons and qualified twice for the Boston Marathon. He has hiked Mount Whitney and rim to rim at the Grand Canyon. When he is not running or hiking, C.W. is building Lego creations with his sons and encouraging their outdoor pursuits; they recently hiked part of the Grand Canyon together.
- J.D., cum laude Harvard Law School
- B.A., cum laude Brigham Young University
- Assistant Articles Editor, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, 2004
Areas Of Practice
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Restaurant and Food Services
- Securities Regulation
- Represented family-owned or privately-held companies in sale of assets or stock in values ranging between $10 million and $225 million. Has negotiated transactions with both financial and strategic buyers, with features such as earn-outs, subordinated seller debt, and equity rollovers.
- Represented cement manufacturing company in numerous acquisitions, financings and contract negotiations in values ranging between $20 million and $560 million.
- Represented private equity funds in various acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio companies in values ranging between $50 million and $600 million.
- Represented international chemical company in numerous acquisitions and in general corporate and contract matters.
- Represents issuers in the sale of securities via private placements and other exemptions from registration.
- Represents start-up companies in the formation and funding of their companies.
- Represents the Industrial Development Authority of the City of Phoenix in connection with Arizona Open Meeting Law and general corporate matters.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2013-2014, 2021
Articles and Presentations
- Interview, “T-Mobile/Sprint Merger,” KPHO, February 12, 2020
- Moderator, “Building and Sustaining Partnerships,” Gridiron Capital Business Owner Forum, May 8, 2019
Professional and community activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, American Bar Association