Charles A. Hansen
For more than three decades, Chuck’s name has been synonymous with real estate law in California.
He has been involved in a host of high-profile transactions, from the Kaiser Center in Oakland to the Grant Hotel in San Diego. From 1985 to 2016, he taught advanced real estate courses to law and MBA students at the University of California’s Boalt Hall. He has also been a prolific writer and speaker on legal issues. Chuck frequently serves as a mediator, arbitrator and judge pro tem. He was the firm’s managing partner from 2000 to 2002.
Lately, much of his time has been devoted to expert consultant and witness work in complex cases across the country. Chuck has been retained as an expert consultant and witness in a variety of transactional and state and federal court matters throughout the United States. His expert work in these matters has covered such topics as title insurance, escrows, trust deeds and foreclosures, real estate sales transactions, commercial and real estate lending, commercial leasing, guarantees, attorney and broker standards of care and conduct, title searching and chain-of-title issues, priorities, real estate development, personal property secured transactions, and usury in the real estate context.
But Chuck never loses touch with his core practice focus on real estate transactions — lending, mortgages, trust deeds, escrows, title insurance, commercial leasing, real estate developments, guarantees, personal property secured transactions and broker issues.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of California, Los Angeles, Phi Beta Kappa
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
Our real estate practice is one of the largest in the American West, including Arizona, California, Colorado and Nevada with expertise in all aspects of the real estate development process, from due diligence, acquisition and finance, through land use permitting and entitlements, to leasing and sale.
- Real Estate Litigation
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Litigation, 2007-present
- Northern California Super Lawyers®, 2004-present
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-Present
- Top 100 Lawyers, Northern California Super Lawyers®, 2007, 2008, 2010-2015
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Member, Real Property Law Section, State Bar of California
- Member, Alameda County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit