CHARLES E. MARKLE
Charlie Markle is an associate in our business litigation practice, and his outstanding commercial litigation skills caught the eye of our business litigation attorney Louis Lopez, who had battled against him in the past. In a true testament to the admiration of respectful competition, Charlie now works with Louis focusing on areas such as contracts, breaches of duties, negligence, and condominium termination transactions, where he can deeply care for his clients while solving their conflicts.
At the age of 12, Charlie knew he wanted to be an attorney. Throughout his life, he has never met a stranger — he is a person who truly loves people, and his intelligence and intellectual curiosity immediately eases others. As a business litigator, he is perseverant and one of those rare attorneys who remains agreeable in disagreement. Charlie believes adversity sharpens an argument, and like an athlete preparing to compete, he enjoys shaping his client’s argument, and then going before a judge to see who wins. This grace under pressure, combined with a joy for his practice and an unmatched work ethic endears him to our clients.
Originally from Colorado, Charlie recharges his batteries in the great outdoors after working diligently for his clients as a business litigation attorney. If you are coming over to his house for a visit, Charlie will probably be out back grilling up steaks for his wife and two beautiful children.
- J.D., cum laude, Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law
- William H. Pedrick Scholar for Academic Excellence
- Blackstone Legal Fellowship
- CALI Awards for Excellence: Writing and Legal Advocacy, Intensive Legal Writing; Arizona Constitutional Law
- B.A., Political Science, Colorado State University
Areas Of Practice
- Business Advice and Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial and Real Estate Finance Disputes
- Condominium Termination Transactions/Litigation
- E-Discovery and Data Management
- Insurance Litigation
- Non-Profit Corporation Law
- Partnership and Entity Ownership Disputes
- Real Estate Litigation
- Tort Litigation
- Successfully defended the constitutionality of a state statute regulating the gambling industry in federal court, with a published opinion from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirming the district court’s denial of a preliminary injunction. Monarch Content Management LLC v. Arizona Department of Gaming, No. 20-15047 (9th Cir. 2020).
- Successfully briefed and argued a $1.8 million breach of a loan agreement/note case, winning summary judgment, which led to collection on the full judgment amount plus all attorneys’ fees.
- Advised several real estate investment clients to successfully achieve condominium terminations, pursuant to the complicated statutory framework of A.R.S. § 33-1228, and litigated and arbitrated two such disputed transactions to positive conclusions for the investor groups.
- Successfully argued and won dismissal in defense of title to real property valued at several million dollars, which was acquired via the client’s purchase of the promissory note and foreclosure of the real property.
- Obtained an injunction against several land owners who unlawfully prevented client’s access to its federal mining claims.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Ones to Watch, 2021-2022
Articles and Presentations
- Co-author, “Insureds Under Title Insurance Can Settle Liability Claims When Defended Under a Reservation of Rights Letter,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 11, 2021
- Featured, “Law From Home: Snapshots Of Attys’ COVID-19 Office Setups,” Law360, April 24, 2020
- Co-author, “Arizona Gov. Prohibits Small Business Eviction Actions,” Fennemore Client Alert, April 7, 2020
- Co-author, “How Might the Government’s ‘Stay at Home’ Declaration Impact Contractual Relationships and Performance Obligations?” Fennemore Client Alert, April 6, 2020
- Co-author, “Arizona Gov. Delays Enforcement of Eviction Actions During the Pandemic,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 26, 2020
Professional and community activities
- Advisory Board Member, Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation, Arizona Chapter
- Breakfast Committee Member, Southwest Autism Research & Resource Center (SARRC)
- Former Board Member, Gilbert Christian Schools
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Spanish, Conversant