KATHERINE L. HOFFMAN
Katie Hoffman works in our government relations and regulatory practice group focusing on administrative matters before state and local agencies. She has become a thought leader in the rapidly-evolving cannabis industry, dealing with many facets of marijuana businesses including regulatory issues, day-to-day compliance and licensing. Katie is also a go-to regulatory attorney for clients in the areas of gaming and sweepstakes and promotional contests, especially knowledgeable with the intricacies of the laws and regulations of online promotions, such as necessary legal structures, bonding and registration requirements, and official rules language. Katie’s gaming law experience has included producing firm reference guides which provide state-by-state analyses of wagering transactions, lotteries, gaming devices, sweepstakes, and charitable gaming laws. She is also adept at working with privileged business licenses, public utilities and financial institutions in regulatory work for mortgage lenders and trust companies throughout Nevada.
Katie takes great pride in helping people overcome regulatory roadblocks so that they can maintain focus on growing and developing their businesses. Her perseverant and patient temperament combined with a government and political science background allows her to excel in the areas of license, permit and other regulatory obligations. Navigating these mazes can be frustrating, but unlike litigation, Katie finds it rewarding to work with clients and regulators to resolve problems in a manner that maintains relationships and builds bridges. As an example, many of her clients are in the gaming or game-design industries, and they rely on her expertise as a regulatory attorney to adapt their games to satisfy both players and comply with laws and regulations.
Outside of her work as a regulatory attorney, Katie loves to recharge her batteries in the great outdoors by hiking, camping and visiting national parks. Away from the wonders and natural beauty of Lake Tahoe, she has explored and climbed the highest mountain in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro.
- J.D., University of Colorado Law School
- B.A., University of Nevada, Reno
- Clerkship, Judge Proctor Hug, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2010-2011
Areas Of Practice
Our regulatory attorneys have helped develop and define laws shaping our region for more than a century. We serve clients at all levels of state, county and municipal government as well as numerous federal agencies.
Our hospitality attorneys advise and represent businesses and trade associations involved in the varied aspects of the $3.4 trillion hospitality industry.
Our health care attorneys serve a range of clients within the ever-expanding realm of healthcare law. We offer a comprehensive suite of services that touches on every aspect of the healthcare industry.
We are the forward-thinking natural resources, energy and environmental law team that innovates to ensure industry and businesses successfully navigate the ever-changing regulatory climate.
- Gaming and Hospitality
Awards and Honors
- “Legal Elite,” Nevada Business Magazine, 2013-2017, 2019-2020
- “Best Up and Coming Attorneys,” Nevada Business Magazine, 2016
- Northern Nevada’s 20 Under 40 Award, 2014
Articles and Presentations
- Co-author,” NNWLA and SNAWA: Supporting and Celebrating Women in the Legal Profession,” Nevada Lawyer Magazine, August 2020
- Co-author, “Nevada Creates Tax Amnesty Program Providing Relief From Penalties and Interest,” Fennemore Client Alert, July 24, 2020
- Co-author, “Nevada Businesses Should Not Delay Renewing Their Licenses and Permits,” Fennemore Client Alert, April 23, 2020
- Interview, “Dog and Pony Show,” Nonprofit Everything, July 24, 2019
- Quoted, “News and Updates,” ANN, July 2019
- Interview, “Legal Pot in Nevada, 1 Year Later: Businesses Must Navigate Myriad Legal Issues,” Northern Nevada Business View, June 19, 2018
- Panelist, “Cannabis Commerce 2.0: The Supplier Story,” NCET, May 23, 2018
- Author, “Nevada’s Ban on Public Use of Marijuana Creates Problems for Visitors,” Nevada Lawyer, February 2018
- Interview, “The Cole Memo,” 2 News Face the State, January 13, 2018
- Co-author, “Nevada Energy Choice,” Fennemore Client Alert, October 12, 2017
- Co-author, “Notable Changes to Nevada’s Financial Institution Laws,” Fennemore Client Alert, July 11, 2017
- Quoted, “Entity Wagering Still Not Making Much Impact in Vegas Sportsbooks,” Gaming Today, October 25, 2016
- Author, “Sweepstakes and Raffles: Do Not Gamble on Compliance,” Nevada Lawyer, October 2016
- Quoted, “Entity Betting Off to Slow Start With Nevada Sports Books,” Las Vegas Review Journal, September 17, 2016
- Author, “Legal Guidelines for Organizations Conducting Charitable Raffles,” Business Voice, June 2016
Professional and community activities
- Member, Washoe County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- President, Northern Nevada Women Lawyers Association
- Former Board Member, University of Nevada Young Alumni Chapter
- Member, The Chamber’s 2017 Leadership Council
- Member, Leadership Reno Sparks, Class of 2015
- Graduate, Reno Citizens Institute, 2014
- Former Board Member, City of Reno, Old Northwest Neighborhood Advisory Board
- Former Member, City of Reno Special Events Sponsorship Committee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit