SCOTT K. AMES
SCOTT K. AMES
Scott has wide-ranging experience in representing industrial corporations and financial institutions in litigation involving environmental enforcement, cost recovery and toxic torts. His practice also includes representing state environmental agencies in complex environmental litigation, environmental laboratory fraud cases, and providing consultation to state environmental agencies and attorneys generals’ offices on matters related to analytical chemistry, hydrogeology and the fate and transport of chemicals in the environment.
A trained environmental chemist, Scott is an experienced environmental litigator whose unique background provides benefits to clients. Prior to joining us, Scott was the manager of Organic Chemistry at the Arizona State Laboratory, responsible for the analyses of contaminants in air, water, soil and biological matrices. He also developed analytical methods to address emerging environmental and public health issues. Because of this background, Scott brings a unique and invaluable perspective to environmental litigation.
- J.D., Lewis and Clark College, The Northwestern School of Law
- M.S., Hazardous Waste Management, Arizona State University
- B.S., Chemistry, Arizona State University
Areas Of Practice
Our experienced agricultural attorneys provide a broad range of assistance to clients, both domestically and internationally, in many areas of agribusiness and agricultural law.
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
We are the forward-thinking natural resources, energy and environmental law team that innovates to ensure industry and businesses successfully navigate the ever-changing regulatory climate.
- Business Torts
- Toxic Torts
- Defended industrial clients in governmental enforcement actions brought under CERCLA, RCRA, CWA and state environmental statutes.
- Represented private parties in both the prosecution and defense of environmental claims including cost recovery under CERCLA, injunctive relief under RCRA, contract claims, toxic torts including property damage and personal injury, and insurance litigation to recover defense costs and indemnification.
- Represented industrial entities and lending institutions in responding to agency requests for information, developing site assessment strategies, and negotiating consent agreements, de minimums settlements, no further action letters, and brownfields agreements.
- Represented landowners and purchasers of property impacted by contamination, wetlands and endangered species in negotiating purchase and indemnification agreements.
Professional and community activities
- Member, Environmental Transactions, Audits & Brownfields Committee; Superfund & Hazardous Waste Committee; Toxic Torts & Environmental Litigation Committee, American Bar Association
- Member, Administrative Law Section; Environmental, Natural Resources Section; Trial Practice Section, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Environmental, Natural Resources Section; Torts, Insurance Practice Section, South Carolina Bar Association