History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
- Winston S. Churchill
STEPHEN J. SEGALL
Stephen Segall is an Of Counsel attorney and an up-and-coming litigator with increasing responsibility as a member of numerous trial teams litigating multimillion dollar business, intellectual property, and fiduciary disputes. He’s skilled and experienced in all stages of trial practice including motion practice, managing document-intensive fact reviews, managing privilege reviews and lodging privilege disputes, preparing for deposition and trial examinations, preparing key fact and expert witnesses, and materially contributing at trial.
Stephen focuses his practice on civil and complex commercial litigation. Since becoming an attorney, Stephen has enjoyed representing and opposing prominent individuals, entities, and industry leaders across various industries, including financial management, estate and succession planning, oil and gas, after-market automotive parts, and condominium management. Stephen’s legal research and writing skills have allowed him to be a key contributor in tackling difficult, and often novel issues, faced by his clients.
Stephen earned his law degree from the University of Miami School of Law in Coral Gables, Florida. While in law school, Stephen served as a judicial clerk for the Hon. Milton Hirsch of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court, and a legal intern in the felony division of the Miami Dade County Public Defender’s Office. As a Hope Fellow at Legal Services of Greater Miami, Stephen represented veterans seeking higher disability ratings and upgrades to their discharge status.
Off the clock, Stephen enjoys hiking, snowboarding, traveling, and live music with his wife.
- J.D., magna cum laude University of Miami School of Law
- B.A. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Dean’s Merit Scholarship Recipient
- Five Dean’s Achievement Awards (highest grade), in courses including Commercial Payment Systems and Negotiable Instruments and Legal Communications and Research
- Honors in Litigation Skills Course at the University of Miami School of Law
Areas Of Practice
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
Create. Protect. Thrive.
Your Technology and Intellectual Property Assets Are The Lifeblood Of Your Business: We Partner With You To Protect Your Critical IP —and To Identify and Implement IP Strategies To Help You Thrive.
- Complex Civil & Commercial Litigation
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Business Disputes
- Intellectual Property
- Represented the trustees of the Patrick D. Bowlen Trust in litigation concerning Pat Bowlen’s estate plan and plan for succession of the ownership and control of the Denver Broncos Football Club.
- Served as litigation counsel in Reilly’s representation of the National Organization of Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Associations of America, 35 individual state life and health insurance guaranty associations, and a Texas Special Deputy Receiver in highly complex litigation against PNC Bank. The litigation arose out of a multi-state fraud perpetrated by a prearranged funeral service provider and its affiliated life insurance companies. Stephen was instrumental to the extensive briefing efforts and preparation of direct and cross examinations of breach-of-trust experts. After a four week bench trial before the United States Eastern District Court of Missouri, Plaintiffs were awarded a combined $106 million judgment ($99 million in compensatory and punitive damages and $7 million in attorney fees and litigation costs) on their breach of trust claim. PNC’s appeal is currently pending.
- Represented DCP Midstream, one of the nation’s largest natural gas processing companies, in a multimillion-dollar breach of contract dispute involving complex oil and gas accounting issues. Stephen served as an instrumental member of the trial team, lodging privilege disputes, reviewing, organizing, and identifying key documents among a mass of evidence, drafting pre and post-trial briefing, preparing for depositions and trial examinations, designating testimony, and strategizing for trial. DCP received a favorable jury verdict following a six-day jury trial.
- Member of trial team representing a Colorado refinery owner seeking contractual indemnification from the refinery’s former owner for clean-up costs resulting from leakage from an underground pipe. Stephen’s contributions included preparing for depositions and examinations of experts in metal corrosion and environmental regulations. Following a 3-week confidential arbitration that took place in April and May 2017, the parties reached an amicable settlement.
- Represented after-market automobile parts supplier in trade secret litigation against competitor. After the close of discovery and motion practice, the parties reached an amicable settlement.
- Successfully represented technology & product-development company in a licensing dispute with foreign licensee.
Awards and Honors
- Pro Bono Achievement Award
Professional and community activities
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado