Compassionate and pragmatic, Virginia guides clients in estate planning, trust administration, probate, and elder law matters. She is a skilled mediator, writes and speaks on a range of estate planning related topics, and is experienced in estate planning for LGBTQ families.
Trusts and Estates
Virginia advises and mediates clients on estate planning, including revocable trusts, wills, durable powers of attorney, and advance healthcare directives, and assists with advanced estate planning and irrevocable trusts. She guides clients on planning for disability, incapacity and end-of-life issues.
She has particular experience in estate planning for LGBTQ families, as well as representation of individual and professional fiduciaries in the administration of trusts, conservatorships of the person and estate and decedents’ estates. As a former estates and trusts litigator, Virginia advises and consults with clients and colleagues about litigation matters.
Leadership and Experience
A frequent author and speaker on estate planning related issues, including LGBTQ estate planning, powers of attorney, estate planning in the context of dissolutions, and end of life decisions, Virginia has presented before a wide variety of legal, professional and private organizations. She is a former Certified Family Law specialist, mediates matters in her areas of expertise and is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estates Lawyers.
- J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law
- B.A., California State University, San Francisco
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Fennemore has one of the most robust estate and trust litigation practices in the Southwest and California.
Thoughtful and careful preparation of estate plan documents is key to wealth preservation and transition. Proper implementation and diligent administration are equally critical.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Northern California Super Lawyers®, 2004-2023
- Top Women Attorneys in Northern California, Northern California Super Lawyers®, 2012-2022
- Best Lawyers in America®, Trusts and Estates, 2020-2024
- Hero Award for 30 years of service, Aids Legal Referral Panel, 2019
- Woman of Distinction, East Bay Business Times, 2005
- Honoree – “Strong, Smart & Bold,” Girl’s Inc., Alameda County, 2008
- Founders Award, Aids Legal Referral Panel (ALRP), 1993
- Award of Merit, Legal Aid Association of California, 1991
ARTICLES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Speaker, “Bias, Ethics and Substance Abuse,” Fremont Bank Fall MCLE Seminar, November 7, 2019
- Speaker, “Conservatorships and Family Law Discussion,” East Bay Trusts and Estates Lawyers, July 19, 2019
- Speaker, “The 10 Best Practices for Ensuring a Successful Mediation,” East Bay Trusts and Estates Lawyers, September 12, 2018
- Speaker, “Toolbox for Navigating & Preventing Elder Abuse: Estate Planning for LGBTQIA,” Legal Assistance for Seniors, May 22, 2018
- Speaker, “Mediating Conservatorship and Limited Conservatorship Cases,” East Bay Trusts and Estates Lawyers, August 9, 2017
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Member, Family Law Task Force, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Member, Elder Law Committee, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Member, East Bay Trusts and Estates Lawyers
- Vice President, Board of Directors, New Directions Travel
- Former Member, Executive Committee, Estate Planning, Trusts and Probate Section, Alameda County Bar Association
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Estate Planning, Trusts and Probate Section, Alameda County Bar Association
- Former Member, ADR Administration Committee, Alameda County Superior Court
- Former Member, AIDS Legal Referral Panel
- Former Director, Board of Directors, Legal Assistance for Seniors, Alameda County