Driven by a deep connection to the sustainability of our environment, our practice group serves those clients who seek to combine social and environmental responsibility with business success.
Fennemore draws upon our significant experience in green building, renewables and natural and organic products to advise and support companies that believe smart business and long-term stewardship of natural and human resources go hand-in-hand.
While our practice was recognized early on for its excellence, we haven’t rested on our laurels. Our passion for sustainability creates a deep sense of trust and connection between us and our clients.
Our attorneys are experienced in specific areas of law relating to green building and construction. We guide clients on a range of matters, including sustainable construction and design criteria (such as the U.S. Green Building Council LEED® program) and laws mandating green building, recycling and waste management. We also assist with construction, architectural and engineering contracting, public works and competitive bidding laws, and construction claims resolution and litigation.
We have substantial experience with all types of energy projects dating back to the late 1800s. Today’s renewable energy focus draws upon this experience and brings together business and finance, tax, intellectual property law, regulatory law, natural resources and environmental law, and real estate law, land use, and construction attorneys for our renewable energy clients to provide efficient and complete legal services. We assist renewable energy project owners with transmission and interconnection issues, financing and permitting, and the purchase and sale of environmental attributes, such as renewable energy certificates (REC’s).
We provide a range of renewable energy legal services to developers, investors, utilities and entrepreneurs for renewable energy projects, including assisting with:
- Business transactions associated with forming a venture, or handling the disposition or acquisition of renewable energy development assets and projects
- Power plant and transmission line siting
- Co-generation agreements
- Financing, including public offerings, private placements, syndications and venture capital financings
- Land use, including leasing, zoning and entitlements
- Licensing and permitting
- Patent, trademark and other intellectual property law protection strategies
- Power purchase agreements
- Construction and manufacturing
- Operations and maintenance (O&M) agreements
- Technology transfer contracts
- Solar leases
- Surface and groundwater permitting
- Tax credits and other incentives