The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.
- Walt Disney
John W. Phillips
John Phillips is a seasoned director who works in the business litigation practice group out of our Fresno office. Bringing transactional experience to the courtroom, John works on numerous commercial litigation matters, including failed agreements and transactions, partnership disputes, eminent domain actions, breach of contract cases, and corporate break-ups. Over his distinguished 30-year career, John has obtained varied trial experience in federal, state, and tax courts and working in settlements, bench trials, and arbitration processes. His practice also encompasses civil rights matters, insurance defense, patent disputes, unfair business practices, and anti-competition lawsuits.
A native of Fresno, John graduated from Fresno State University with a desire to learn transactions and initially worked as a CPA. Over the years, John realized that he wanted to be the one using this information. This led him to law school – John’s father was an attorney – and with this life experience behind him, John found law school was right in his wheelhouse, and he realized that legal work coursed through his veins, and it was part of his DNA. He finds great satisfaction in implementing his client’s business needs and litigation strategies. John also realizes that sometimes you can win in litigation but lose the war. To this end, he also employs risk-management and problem resolution strategies to find the right results for his clients, be it at trial or in a negotiated result.
To relax and recharge his batteries, John loves to travel and enjoys family time at the Coast, golf, and fishing.
- LL.M., Taxation University of San Diego School of Law
- J.D. California Western School of Law
Areas Of Practice
Awards and Honors
- CWSL Deans List
Articles and Presentations
- Preventing Sexual Harassment in the Workplace for School Districts
- CANRA Reporting for Pubic Employees
- Effective Credit and Collection Techniques
- Secured Transactions for Vendors
Professional and community activities
- Member, Fresno County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii
- U.S. Tax Court