CHRISTOPHER L. CALLAHAN
Chris practices in the areas of environmental, toxic tort and commercial litigation. He has extensive experience with complex, multi-party, multi-claim litigation, including class actions and mass actions. He has represented product manufacturers, waste disposal entities and employers in a variety of toxic tort and environmental matters involving groundwater contamination, airborne emissions and workplace exposure to toxic chemicals. In these contexts, Chris has counseled clients and has defended claims for personal injuries, medical surveillance damages and property damage.
Chris has also defended clients against governmental enforcement actions and citizen suits under various federal and state environmental statutes, including but not limited to the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Water Quality Assurance Revolving Fund (WQARF), the Clean Water Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Underground Storage Tank Act. He has assisted his clients in obtaining insurance coverage for various types of claims, including those involving environmental and toxic tort liabilities.
Chris has also represented clients for more than thirty years in various forms of dispute resolution involving prescriptive rights, property diminution claims and issues arising from commercial and residential real estate development. Chris served as a Judge Pro Tempore for the Maricopa County Superior Court for approximately 20 years, where he gained extensive experience as a mediator. He supplemented this experience with studies at the Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University.
Away from work, Chris enjoys watching Sun Devil football, and enjoying all of the outdoor activities offered by the great State of Arizona.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law
- B.S., Arizona State University
- Order of the Coif
- Internship, The Honorable William Matthew Byrne, U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 1983
- Clerkship, The Honorable Anthony M. Kennedy, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1984-1985
Areas Of Practice
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
Our construction attorneys have substantial experience with the diverse and often complex aspects of the construction business.
We are the forward-thinking natural resources, energy and environmental law team that innovates to ensure industry and businesses successfully navigate the ever-changing regulatory climate.
Our professional liability practice group offers service and experience in all aspects of professional liability, including conflict avoidance through counseling, dispute resolution through mediation and arbitration, representation in actual or threatened litigation, and representation in professional licensing and disciplinary proceedings.
- Business and Personal Injury Torts
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Product Liability
- Real Estate Litigation
Awards and Honors
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Environmental Litigation, 2014-2021
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Environmental, Mass Tort Litigation, Class Actions – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2013-2022
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, 2012-2019
- Best Lawyers®, Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions-Defendants, 2015
- Arizona’s Top Lawyers, Alternative Dispute Resolution, AZ Business Magazine, 2014
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Articles and Presentations
- Quoted, “Business Briefcase,” Peoria Times, May 21, 2020
Professional and community activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Maricopa County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Former Judge Pro Tempore, Maricopa County Superior Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit