GERALD L. SHELLEY
Gerald practices in the areas of commercial bankruptcy, litigation and business restructuring and reorganization. He has handled insolvency and reorganization cases in a variety of industries, including real estate, agriculture, mining, transportation, retail, franchising and licensing, health care, manufacturing, non-profit, and e-commerce. He represents lenders, secured and unsecured, committees, debtors, trustees, examiners, purchasers and other parties affected by or connected to an insolvency or bankruptcy. He has also handled cross-border insolvency issues involving Canada, Europe, Asia, and Latin America, where his Spanish fluency assists.
- J.D. Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law
- B.A. Brigham Young University
- Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Law clerk to the Honorable Robert G. Mooreman, Chief U.S. Bankruptcy Judge, District of Arizona 1985-1987
- Nationally Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the American Board of Certification
Areas Of Practice
- Reorganized several golf courses in the greater Phoenix area.
- Represented banks and private lenders seeking stay relief.
- Represented Wall Street lender with “Zone of Insolvency” issues.
- Represented official committee in hedge fund bankruptcy with Ponzi Scheme implications
- Represented parties with interests in airline bankruptcies, both national and international.
- Represented an international financial institution in its defense of a cramdown plan relating to low income housing apartments.
- Represented various defendants in large and complex preference and avoidance cases.
- Represented utility companies in rearranging or terminating contracts with Enron Power Marketing Corporation.
- Represented the State of Arizona’s health care agency in dealing with a hospital in Chapter 11.
Awards and Honors
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, 2014-2021
- Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights, Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2013-2022
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Articles and Presentations
- Speaker, “Successful 363 Sales,” State Bar of Arizona Bankruptcy Section, February 1, 2018
- Speaker, “The Symposium,” M&A Advisor 2017 Distressed Investing Summit, March 23, 2017
- Frequent lecturer at seminars sponsored by the Arizona State Bar, the Maricopa County Bar Association and Sterling Education Services
Professional and community activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Risk Management Association
- Member, INSOL International
- Member, East Valley Partnership
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Pro hac vice admissions in other districts throughout the United States, including Bankruptcy Courts in California, Utah, Nevada, Kentucky and New York.
- Spanish, Fluent