J. BARRY SHELLEY
Barry Shelley is an experienced business and tax attorney in our business and finance law practice group, where he concentrates primarily in federal income tax matters, business and tax planning and corporate law, including the purchase and sale of privately held businesses, mergers and acquisitions, shareholder agreements, and general contract matters. Throughout his career as a business and tax attorney, Barry has worked with some of Arizona’s most distinguished businesses in general contract law and commercial work. He also works on corporate transitions, planning for the next generation of closely-held business owners.
A native Arizonan, Barry’s family settled in Heber, Arizona in the late 1800s, and they have been a big part of the fabric of the Arizona community ever since. Barry has obtained undergraduate and graduate degrees in accounting, and continues to maintain his CPA certification. Barry’s fascination with the legal field led him to practice the law – one uncle served as a judge, and another served as a city attorney – but his business and accounting background has proved extremely valuable, allowing him to relate to many of the challenges faced by his business clients.
With four grown boys, Barry’s Boy Scout days may be over, but he still loves exploring Arizona’s great outdoors and enjoys the quiet offered by a cabin in Heber. When not in Heber or traveling the world, you will probably find him and his wife at an Arizona State University football or basketball game, cheering on their beloved Sun Devils.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law
- M.A. Arizona State University
- B.S., summa cum laude, Arizona State University
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Phi Theta Kappa
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Editor-in-Chief, Arizona State University Law Journal, 1985-1986
Areas Of Practice
Our business and finance attorneys represent national, regional and local clients participating in significant transactions.
Welcome to one of the largest and most sophisticated estate planning practices in the Southwest and California.
Taxes are a significant expense for any business and most individuals, and tax planning should not be an afterthought.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law, Tax Law, 2013-2022
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional and community activities
- Member, Maricopa County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, American Bar Association
- Certified Public Accountant (Arizona)