James P. Hill
Jim Hill is a seasoned bankruptcy, insolvency, and commercial law attorney. His practice, emphasizing personalized debt relief strategies and comprehensive financial analysis, includes representing creditors, bankruptcy trustees, and select bankruptcy debtors in Chapter 11 business reorganization cases. He also serves as a court-appointed examiner and mediator, showcasing his versatility and in-depth knowledge in the field.
In addition to his bankruptcy work, Jim is adept in asset sales and acquisitions, state and federal court receivership cases, and business workouts, restructuring, and dissolution matters. His approach to providing tailored solutions and conducting detailed financial assessments makes him a sought-after advisor in complex commercial law matters.
Jim’s leadership extends beyond his practice. He served as the inaugural Chair of the California Lawyers Association (CLA) Board of Representatives and as the CLA Board Representative of the Business Law Section, where he previously chaired. His dedication to the legal community is further shown by his co-chair role in the BLS Insolvency Law Committee and his receipt of the California Lawyers Association’s Business Law Section Lifetime Achievement Award in October 2022, highlighting his contributions to business law in California.
- J.D., The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law
- B.J., High Honors, University of Texas
Areas Of Practice
One of the largest and most active bankruptcy and creditors’ rights legal practices in the Southwest and California, representing clients locally, regionally, and nationally.
Our experienced agricultural attorneys provide a broad range of assistance to clients, both domestically and internationally, in many areas of agribusiness and agricultural law.
Our business and finance attorneys represent national, regional and local clients participating in significant transactions.
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
Our real estate practice is one of the largest in the American West, including Arizona, California, Colorado and Nevada with experience in all aspects of the real estate development process, from due diligence, acquisition and finance, through land use permitting and entitlements, to leasing and sale.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in San Diego – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation
- Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
- Top Rated Lawyer by American Lawyer Media, Commercial Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights
- Top Rated Lawyer by American Lawyer Media, Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyer, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2007-2023
- Top San Diego Lawyer by San Diego Magazine, 2015-2023
- 50 Influential Leaders in San Diego Business Community by the Daily Transcript, 2018
- Mediator of the Year by the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California, 2013-2015
- San Diego Business Journal’s Best of The Bar
ARTICLES AND PRESENTATION
- Panelist, “Stalking Horse Real Property Sales in Bankruptcy: To Stalk or Not to Stalk,” California Lawyer Association, October 11, 2023
- Presenter, “Litigation Funding in Bankruptcy Cases: How to Get it & Potential Pitfalls (Help Me Legalist, You’re My Only Hope,” California Lawyer Association, October 21, 2021
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Order of the Coif
- Member, Phi Kappa PHi
- Member, Kappa Tau Alpha
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Subcommittee on Business Bankruptcy, American Bar Association
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, Bankruptcy Law Section, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, San Diego County Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Member, California Bankruptcy Forum
- Member, San Diego Bankruptcy Forum
- Member, San Diego Receivers Forum
- Member, California Receivers Forum
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts for Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California