Janice practices in the areas of labor and employment law and civil appeals. In her employment practice, she counsels employers on a variety of personnel matters and regularly trains employees on EEO and compliance issues. She also defends employers exclusively in litigation and administrative proceedings that allege employment discrimination, breach of contract, wage and hour violations, unfair labor practices, breaches of restrictive covenants and other employment-related torts.
Janice has briefed or argued over 200 appellate matters. She served as a member of the Appellate Handbook Committee responsible for drafting the Arizona Appellate Handbook for the State Bar of Arizona, as well as co-authored a chapter on Attorneys’ Fees on Appeal for the Arizona Attorneys’ Fees Manual.
Janice also serves as the firm’s Associate General Counsel. She previously served on the State Bar of Arizona’s Rules of Professional Conduct Committee, and now serves on the State Bar of Arizona’s Ethics Advisory Group.
Away from work, Janice volunteers for the American Cancer Society.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School
- B.A., cum laude, Economics, University of Michigan
Areas Of Practice
- Griffis v. Pinal County, 483 Ariz. Adv. Rep. 20 (2007)
- US West Communications, Inc. v. Ariz. Corp. Comm., 201 Ariz. 242, 34 P. 3d 351 (2001)
- Hull v. Albrecht, 192 Ariz. 34, 960 P.2d 634 (1998)
- Samaritan Foundation v. Goodfarb, 176 Ariz. 497, 862 P.2d 870 (1993)
- Hughes v. Hughes, 177 Ariz. 522, 869 P.2d 198 (App. 1993)
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Appellate Practice, Employment Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2011-2024
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Employment and Labor, 2012-2019
- Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers for Business, 2006-2011
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Articles and Presentations
- Panelist, “Wait Wait … Don’t Lawyer Me!”, State Bar of Arizona, December 1, 2020
- Speaker, “Ethics Café – ER 1.4,” State Bar of Arizona, June 20, 2020
- Speaker, “Families First Coronavirus Response Act”, Fennemore Webinar, March 27, 2020
- Co-author, “COVID-19: Health Plan Coverage For Furloughed Employees,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 26, 2020
- Co-author, “Understanding the Emergency Family Medical Leave Expansion Act and Emergency Paid Sick Leave in the Families First Coronavirus Response Act,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 20, 2020
- Co-author, “Frequently Asked Questions About the Coronavirus in the Employment Setting,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 17, 2020
- Speaker, “Protecting the Client and Serving the Public in the Digital Age,” 2017 State Bar of Arizona Annual Convention, June 15, 2017
- Author, “Attorneys’ Fees on Appeal,” Chapter Nine, Arizona Attorneys’ Fees Manual, 3d Ed.
- Author, “Attorneys’ Fees,” Chapter Eleven, Arizona Appellate Handbook, Vol. 1, 3d and 4th Ed.
- Author, “Superseding and Staying Judgments,” A National Compendium: Arizona Chapter
Professional and community activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona Ethics Advisory Group
- Member, Labor and Employment Section, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Appellate Handbook Committee, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Appellate Section, State Bar of Arizona
- Corporate Sponsorship Chair, American Cancer Society’s Central Phoenix Relay for Life
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court