JOHN D. TENNERT III
John is a member of the firm’s business litigation practice. He represents businesses and individuals in a variety of complex civil litigation, financial service and natural resource matters, and has handled matters involving contract disputes, business torts, fraud, environmental issues and creditors’ rights litigation.
John is a fierce advocate for his clients, and enjoys finding creative strategies to complex legal issues. He has argued before Nevada State and Federal courts, including the Nevada Supreme Court and the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Ninth Circuit, on multiple subjects including property law, Nevada foreclosure and deficiency laws, state and federal environmental law, corporate law, constitutional law, federal and Nevada jurisdiction and procedure, and statutory interpretation.
Away from the office, John serves on the University of Nevada Planned Giving Advisory Council and enjoys rooting for the University of Nevada, Reno, where he was a four-year starter on the offensive line.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Gonzaga University School of Law
- B.S., University of Nevada, Reno
Areas Of Practice
Our business and finance attorneys represent national, regional and local clients participating in significant transactions.
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
One of the largest and most active bankruptcy and creditors’ rights legal practices in the Southwest and California, representing clients locally, regionally, and nationally.
We are the forward-thinking natural resources, energy and environmental law team that innovates to ensure industry and businesses successfully navigate the ever-changing regulatory climate.
- Representing national bank in Attorney General lawsuit asserting violations of consumer protection laws.
- Defending multinational telecommunications corporation in lawsuit asserting claims for fraudulent inducement of advertising contract, obtaining dismissal of lawsuit prior to trial.
- Representing international defendants in intentional tort action, resulting in dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Defending local property management company in personal injury lawsuit brought by former tenants, resulting in dismissal prior to trial.
- Counseling mining companies on issues ranging from regulatory compliance and permitting to litigation.
- Defending Nevada companies and their principal in a lawsuit asserting fraud and breach of contract, resulting in a favorable settlement and dismissal.
- Representing secured creditors in numerous Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Awards and Honors
- “Legal Elite,” Nevada Business Magazine, 2012-2022
- Benchmark Litigation, 40 & Under Hot List, 2018-2021
- Mountain States Super Lawyers Rising Stars®, 2017-2021
- “Best Up and Coming Attorneys,” Nevada Business Magazine, 2016
Articles and Presentations
- Co-Author, “Compelling and Staying Arbitration in Nevada,” Practical Law, June, 2017
Professional and community activities
- Member, University of Nevada Planned Giving Advisory Council
- Member, Bruce R. Thompson Chapter, American Inns of Court
- Member, University of Nevada Football Alumni Association
- Executive Board Member, Young Professionals Committee
- Graduate, Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Reno-Sparks program, 2014
- Past District Representative for Nevada and Utah American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, 2010-2012