KEVIN J. BONNER
Kevin practices in the area of construction law and commercial litigation, including real estate litigation and bankruptcy matters.
He advises commercial property owners, contractors and design professionals regarding construction laws and issues, and has substantial experience in construction litigation. Kevin has represented commercial owners, contractors, design professionals homebuilders and homeowners in disputes involving private and public contracts, lien disputes, construction and design defects and other issues. He has negotiated and drafted contracts for commercial property owners and construction industry professionals and acted as outside general counsel for contractors and design professionals. He also advises commercial property owners and developers to resolve real estate disputes.
Kevin has successfully handled bench and jury trials, arbitration hearings, administrative hearings before the Registrar of Contractors, and appeals before the Arizona Court of Appeals, the Arizona Supreme Court, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School
- B.S.A. University of Michigan-Dearborn
- Contributing Editor, Michigan Journal of Law Reform
Areas Of Practice
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
Our construction attorneys have substantial experience with the diverse and often complex aspects of the construction business.
- Commercial Contingency Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
Articles and Presentations
- Quoted, “Feds Seek Win For Ariz. Apache Tribe In Gila River Water War,” Law360, March 7, 2022
- Represented general contractor in multi-million dollar matter arising out of a power plant fire.
- Represented owner of cement plant in multi-million dollar construction cost overrun matter.
- Obtained $5 million arbitration award for highway contractor in dispute with public owner.
- Obtained $1 million arbitration award for contractor in payment/ defect dispute with owner.
- Obtained summary judgment for national homebuilder in multi-million dollar construction defect case.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for national homebuilder in class action construction defect case.
- Obtained $2 million settlement for commercial building owner in construction defect/breach of contract case.
- Representing general contractors in claims disputes against public owners.
- Representing general contactors and subcontractors in contract and lien dispute cases.
- Representing homebuilders, architects, engineers and owners in construction and design defect cases.
- Representing contractors before the Arizona Registrar of Contractors.
- Negotiation and drafting contracts on behalf of owners, contractors, subcontractors and design professionals.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Construction, 2013-2024
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Construction Litigation, 2012-2022
- Ranking Arizona, Best Lawyers – Construction Litigation, 2012
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional and community activities
- State Bar of Arizona, Construction Section
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association, Construction Law Forum
- Federal Bar Association, Phoenix Chapter Past President and Board Member
- Miracle League of Arizona, Board Member
- Raising Special Kids, Advisory Council; Past President and Board Member
- Ninth Circuit Lawyer Representative (2005-2008); Chair (2006-2007)