Black, Patrick J.
Patrick Black works in our natural resources, energy and environmental law group, where he focuses primarily on energy regulatory matters. Patrick represents large industrial customers, renewable energy developers and independent producers, in matters before the Arizona Corporation Commission and Arizona Power Plant and Line Siting Committee. Patrick also represents both utilities and developers before the Arizona Corporation Commission and local municipalities on water and wastewater utility matters. Currently, Patrick is focused on Arizona’s Energy Modernization efforts, focusing on emerging technologies, clean tech and the integration of renewable energy into the transmission grid. Patrick is heavily involved in Arizona’s move towards competitive retail markets in electricity.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law
- B.S., Santa Clara University
Areas Of Practice
We are the forward-thinking natural resources, energy and environmental law team that innovates to ensure industry and businesses successfully navigate the ever-changing regulatory climate.
Our business attorneys recognize and appreciate the value of entrepreneurship and innovation, and are committed to providing efficient, straightforward and business-oriented solutions that facilitate success and avoid pitfalls while recognizing early capital is precious and expensive.
- Renewable Energy and Clean Tech
- In the Matter of the Application of Tucson Electric Power Company for a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility Authorizing the Construction of a 138kV Transmission Line and Associated Facility to Serve the Rosemont Copper Project. Docket No. L-00000C-11-0400-00164.
- In the Matter of Southern California Edison Company for a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility to Construct a 500kv transmission line from Palo Verde to the Devers II substation. Case No. 130 (Docket No. E-00000A-06-0295-00130). Decision No. 69638.
- In the Matter of the Proposed Rulemaking for the Renewable Energy Standard and Tariff Rules, Docket No. RE-00000C-05-0030. Decision No. 69127.
- In the Matter of the Application of Arizona Public Service Company to Determine the Fair Value of Utility Property of the Company for Ratemaking Purposes, to Fix a Just and Reasonable Rate of Return Thereon, to Approve Rate Schedules Designed to Develop Such Return, and for Approval of a Power Purchase Contract. Docket No. E-01345A-03-0437. Decision No. 67744.
- In the Matter of Salt River Project Improvement District, et al., for a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility to Construct a 500kv transmission line from the Pinal West to Southeast Valley/Browning substations, Docket No. L-00000B-04-0126. Decision No. 68093.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Energy Law, Energy Regulatory Law, 2013-2022
- Fennemore Craig Ranked #1 for Renewable Energy by Ranking Arizona, 2015-2016
- Arizona’s Top Lawyers, AZ Business Magazine, 2013
Professional and community activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Arizona Asian American Bar Association 2006-Present (President 2006, Board 2005-2011)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Governor Brewer’s Solar Task Force, Transmission Subcommittee
- Member, Governor Napolitano’s Asian-American Advisory Council
- Past Chairman, Thomas Tang Scholarship Committee for the Arizona Asian American Bar Association, 2003-2005