ROBERT D. TOOKOIAN
Rob represents a broad range of clients in commercial transactions, contracts, privacy compliance, real estate transactions and employment law. His diverse and extensive legal and business background allows him to counsel business owners and executive management to provide practical, business-oriented solutions to complex legal problems. His clients include such varied industries and service groups as healthcare providers, government entities and food processors, as well as agribusiness, technology, and health benefit companies.
Rob began his practice in the San Francisco Bay Area, working as counsel and General Counsel to internet and “high-tech” companies. He has been in-house counsel for start-ups, early-stage and public companies, working on complex services and licensing agreements, compliance, real property transactions, intellectual property, and corporate governance, among other services.
Rob has spent the last 15 plus years working with small and midsize organizations to provide strategic guidance on growth and complex transactions, as well as complex litigation, compliance, and public entity defense. In his healthcare practice, Rob assists clients with formation, contract negotiation and preparation, growth strategies, employment matters, regulatory and contractual compliance, and risk mitigation. Rob regularly counsels his clients about HIPAA, Stark, Anti-kickback, CCPA and other compliance matters.
Outside of work, Rob and his wife stay busy with three kids. He keeps active by skiing, hiking, golfing and playing and coaching rugby. Rob grew up in Fresno and has served on the boards of several local non-profit organizations, including The United Way of Fresno County (Secretary), Charlie Keyan Armenian Community School, Central California Rugby Foundation and as Chairman of CenCal Youth Sports.
- J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law
- M.B.A., Golden Gate University, Ageno School of Business
- B.S., Political Economy of Natural Resources, University of California, Berkeley
- B.A., History, University of California, Berkeley
Areas Of Practice
Our business and finance attorneys represent national, regional and local clients participating in significant transactions.
Our attorneys practicing in the employment and labor relations area advise and defend management in virtually all aspects of the employment relationship.
Our health care attorneys serve a range of clients within the ever-expanding realm of healthcare law. We offer a comprehensive suite of services that touches on every aspect of the healthcare industry.
Our privacy and data security practice addresses the administrative, regulatory and litigation concerns of business in the face of mounting threats and increasing state and federal regulation in the areas of data privacy, data breach and security.
- Commercial Transactions
- Real Property
Articles and Presentations
- Author, “California Attorney General Signals Enforcement of CCPA Regulations on HR Data Following Temporary Exemption’s End,” Fennemore Blog, July 27, 2023
- Author, “California Attorney General Signals Enforcement of CCPA Regulations on HR Data, Following Temporary Exemption’s End,” Fennemore Client Alert, July 27, 2023
- Presenter, “Privacy Law for Fennemore Lawyers: What you need to know,” May 19, 2023
- Interview, “A Conversation With Attorney Rob Tookoian On Lessons Learned and Life In The Legal Profession,” Fennemore Blog, March 24, 2022
- Panelist, “Understanding Data, Decision making, and Design,” CPRA Law + Tech Series
- Interview, “Pharma Group Sues Government to Keep Drug Prices Secret,” Verywell Health, October 20, 2021
- Author, “Providers Beware: The Office For Civil Rights is Making an Example of Providers That Fail to Deliver Patient Records,” Fennemore Client Alert, February 2, 2021
- Author, “SCOTUS Brings the Hammer Down on Pharmacy Benefit Managers,” Fennemore Client Alert, December 17, 2020
- Presenter, “California Consumer Privacy Act’s Application to Employers”
- Presenter, “Handling Contract Performance Issues During COVID”
- Author, “Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security CARES Act Overview”
- Author, “A Brief Overview of the Paycheck Protection Program, a 100% Forgivable Loan”
- Author, “Franchises, Hotels and Restaurants, Oh My: PPP Progress”
- Author, “SBA Warns Borrowers to Double Check That They Qualify for a PPP Loan”
- Author, “SBA Clarifies Effect of Laid-off Employees in Calculating PPP Loan Forgiveness”
- Author, “SBA Provides Safe Harbor Guidance for Some PPP Loan Recipients”
- Author, “SBA Publishes PPP Loan Forgiveness Application and Some Clarifications”
Professional and community activities
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member, Fresno County Bar Association
- Member, Executive Committee, Privacy Law Section of the California Lawyers Association
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Member, American Health Law Association
- Board Member, Cal Alumni of Central California
- Board Member, CenCal Youth Sports
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California