Yes, you can always be sued, at any time, by anybody.
STACIE K. SMITH
Stacie practices in the area of intellectual property. She regularly advises clients on the preparation and performance of commercial agreements including licensing, product development and distribution, services and consulting agreements. Her practice includes managing domestic and international trademark portfolios, copyright registration and protection, and counseling clients on intellectual property protection and enforcement. Stacie also provides advice on domain name disputes, social media and data privacy.
Stacie began her career at Fennemore as a paralegal. She has broad experience representing companies in the software, electronics, internet, real estate, personal product and game and toy industries. She is the vice-chair of the Intellectual Property group and a core committee member of the firm’s Venture Accelerator program focused on working with start-ups.
Stacie is an avid reader and enjoys swimming and spending time with her family and friends.
- J.D., cum laude, Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law
- B.A., with highest distinction, Political Science University of Arizona
- Case Note Editor, Arizona State Law Review, 1991-1992
Areas Of Practice
Our business and finance attorneys represent national, regional and local clients participating in significant transactions.
Our business attorneys recognize and appreciate the value of entrepreneurship and innovation, and are committed to providing efficient, straightforward and business-oriented solutions that facilitate success and avoid pitfalls while recognizing early capital is precious and expensive.
Create. Protect. Thrive.
Your Technology and Intellectual Property Assets Are The Lifeblood Of Your Business: We Partner With You To Protect Your Critical IP —and To Identify and Implement IP Strategies To Help You Thrive.
Our privacy and data security practice addresses the administrative, regulatory and litigation concerns of business in the face of mounting threats and increasing state and federal regulation in the areas of data privacy, data breach and security.
- Aviation, Aerospace and Autonomous Systems
- Managed domestic and international trademark portfolio for growing direct distribution jewelry company.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of a domain name registrar and Internet service provider, including negotiating and drafting numerous ancillary agreements related to the transfer and licensing of software and services.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition and licensing of patents, trademarks and copyrights related to the manufacture and distribution of mobility products and services.
- Outside intellectual property counsel for a New York based provider of data, analytics and technology for the commercial mortgage-backed securities and commercial real estate industry.
- Negotiated and drafted software license agreements, joint development agreements and service provider agreements as outside intellectual property counsel for a national waste disposal company.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Trade Secrets Law, 2023 and 2024
Articles and Presentations
- Co-author, “The Cost of a Photograph,” Fennemore Client Alert, January 23, 2020
- Co-author, “Inside the Do’s and Don’ts of How to Name Your Company (Opinion),” Northern Nevada Business View, October 31, 2018
Professional and community activities
- Member, Intellectual Property Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Section, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association