Todd A. Williams
Todd represents clients in the broad spectrum of land use, real estate and environmental issues in both litigation and administrative proceedings.
He works with private clients and public entities, including landowners and developers of residential, infill, commercial and industrial property, as well as local agencies, providing property entitlement processing and local government land use approvals; CEQA compliance and litigation; planning and zoning law advice; and real property litigation. He also has experience with infill project streamlining, density bonus and housing laws, affordable housing and historic preservation regulations, as well as advising clients on public-private partnerships, the Subdivision Map Act, the Williamson Act, and cannabis land use regulations, along with easement and boundary dispute matters.
A contributing editor on the 2010 – 2011 edition of State and Local Government Land Use Liability, and a reviewer of the 2012 and 2013 editions of the Municipal Law Handbook, Todd also has spoken throughout the state on land use law, with particular emphasis on CEQA.
- J.D., University of California College of the Law, San Francisco
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
For More Than 137 Years – Helping Our Clients Realize Their Vision For Responsible Development In The American West
We are the forward-thinking natural resources, energy and environmental law team that innovates to ensure industry and businesses successfully navigate the ever-changing regulatory climate.
Our real estate practice is one of the largest in the American West, including Arizona, California, Colorado and Nevada with experience in all aspects of the real estate development process, from due diligence, acquisition and finance, through land use permitting and entitlements, to leasing and sale.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2018-2024
- Northern California Super Lawyers®, 2023
ARTICLES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Featured,” Trumark Homes snags 30-acre Livermore site entitled for more than 400 homes,” San Francisco Business Times, February 3, 2023
- Featured, “Five ‘builder’s remedy’ projects submitted in Mountain View, Los Altos Hills,” San Francisco Business Times, February 14, 2023
- Author, “California Supreme Court Denies Review in Berkeley Shellmound Case Paving the Way for Housing Under SB 35”, Wendel Rosen Client Update, August 2, 2021
- Speaker, “Bisnow East Bay Multifamily Update,” Bisnow, August 19, 2021
- Speaker, “Density Bonus: a Strong Development Tool Gets Stronger,” Wendel Rosen LLP, June 8, 2021
- Speaker, “Streamlined Housing Approval with SB 35, SB 330 and New Pro-Housing Legislation,” Wendel Rosen LLP, October 20, 2021
- Speaker, “How the Housing Crisis Act (SB330) Can Ease Approvals for Housing Development Projects” Wendel Rosen Webinar, October 29, 2020
- Speaker, “Demystifying the new 2018 Housing Laws and Update on Major Oakland Projects” Wendel Rosen Client Seminar, January 9, 2018
- Co-Author, “Slate of New Housing Bills Take Effect,” Wendel Rosen Client Update, January 3, 2018
- Speaker, “Oakland Construction & Development: The Boom Continues!” Wendel Rosen Client Seminar, November 10, 2016
- Speaker, “What Every Real Estate Attorney Should Know About CEQA,” Wendel Rosen Client Seminar, October 21, 2016
- Speaker, “Oakland’s Impending Development Impact Fees & the California Supreme Court’s Steps to Rein in CEQA,” Wendel Rosen Seminar, April 2016
- Speaker, “What Every Lawyer Needs to Know About CEQA + New Supreme Court Developments,” Alameda County Bar Association, February 2016
- Speaker, “Expert Briefing: CEQA Update,” Bay Planning Coalition, October 2015
- Co-Author, “Inclusionary Housing Stays,” The Registry, June 29, 2015
- Speaker, “Current Issues in CEQA and Planning and Zoning,” Building Industry Association’s 2015 BIG Show, April 2015
- Author, “California Supreme Court Provides Key CEQA Guidance Regarding Categorical Exemptions,” Wendel Rosen Client Update, March 3, 2015
- Speaker, Land Use and CEQA Update, Contra Costa Planning Directors, July 2014
- Speaker, Land Use and CEQA Update, Marin County Planning Directors, June 2014
- Speaker, CEQA Reform and Challenges to Plan Bay Area, Air and Waste Management Association, February 2014
- Co-Author, “Court of Appeal Reinstates Regional Air Quality Thresholds for Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” Wendel Rosen Client Update, August 14, 2013
- Participant, Land Use Law Update Roundtable, California Lawyer, June 2013
- Speaker, Recently Adopted CEQA Streamlining for Infill, Air and Waste Management Association, May 2013
- Speaker, Land Use and CEQA Update, Marin County Planning Directors, May 2013
- Reviewer, The California Municipal Law Handbook, 2012-2013
- Co-Author, “Air Quality District’s CEQA Thresholds Invalidated,” Wendel Rosen Client Update, April 6, 2012
- Author, “Court Weakens Use of CEQA’s Categorical Exemptions,” Wendel Rosen Client Update, March 28, 2012
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member, SPUR – Oakland
- Member, Land Use Task Force, East Bay Leadership Council
- Member, Alameda County Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Real Property Section, Land Use Subsection, State Bar of California
- United States District Court, All California Districts
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit