Wendy L. Manley
As an attorney with degrees in biology and marine biology, Wendy brings unique insight to her environmental law practice. She guides public and private clients in a range of complex permitting, compliance, and enforcement issues, with the benefit of a deep understanding of the interface between science and policy. Wendy frequently speaks on environmental law, water regulations, and related matters.
Her clients include manufacturers, retailers, property owners, title companies, developers, private individuals, and public entities. She is experienced with state and federal agencies, including the State Water Resources Control Board, Regional Water Quality Control Boards, Bay Conservation and Development Commission, California Fish and Wildlife, California Department of Insurance, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. EPA, National Marine Fisheries Service, and various local entities.
Water and Stormwater Issues
Wendy provides legal guidance to industrial, municipal, and construction clients on compliance with the federal Clean Water Act and state and federal stormwater requirements. She assists with resolution of citizen and agency enforcement actions and counsels clients whose activities require or have violated permits authorizing activities in wetlands, or otherwise involve discharges to Waters of the United States (WOTUS) or Waters of the State (WOTS).
Threatened and Endangered Species
Applying her science background and knowledge of public policy and law, Wendy assists clients whose property or projects could impact endangered species. She advises on matters affecting their property and activities and represents clients through the administrative process of listing threatened and endangered species.
Wendy provides compliance counseling, claim defense and litigation representation on Proposition 65 matters for clients in the wide range of manufacturing, food and beverage, industrial, and retail businesses. She provides guidance on risk assessments, warning requirements and statutory exemptions. She also counsels clients on their defenses and best strategies through litigation or a negotiated settlement when Prop 65 claims are filed.
Title Industry Regulatory Matters
Wendy orchestrates the application process for regulatory approvals for underwritten title companies (UTCs) seeking to form, license, or expand their business.
- J.D., Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and Clark College
- M.S., University of Oregon, Oregon Institute of Marine Biology
- B.S., University of Oregon
AREAS OF PRACTICE
We are the forward-thinking natural resources, energy and environmental law team that innovates to ensure industry and businesses successfully navigate the ever-changing regulatory climate.
Our attorneys practicing in the employment and labor relations area advise and defend management in virtually all aspects of the employment relationship.
- Proposition 65
- Public Agency
ARTICLES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Author, “Warning! You’ve Been Exposed to New Prop 65 Requirements!” ACBA, February 6, 2019
- Author, “Proposition 65: Continuing Challenges for Food Industry,” Wendel Rosen Client Update, January 14, 2019
- Speaker, “Prop 65,” OSC2 Webinar, April 2, 2019
- Speaker, “Water Laws, Regulations and Recent Developments,” Half Moon Education, Inc., May 17, 2018
- Author, “Emerging Stormwater Litigation Trends: 5 Things Environmental Professionals Need to Know,” Mapistry, March 15, 2018
- Author, “Waters of the US – The Tide of Uncertainty Rises Again,” Wendel Rosen Client Update, March 2017
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member, Environmental Law Section, Alameda County Bar Association
- Member, Environmental Law Section, State Bar of California
- Member, Environmental and Natural Resources Section, Oregon State Bar
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, California Stormwater Quality Association
- Member, Women in Environment
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California