Yaniv Newman, is litigator in the Insurance, Construction, and Commercial and Business Litigation practice group.
His practice focuses on representing commercial lines policyholders in disputes with their insurers and to secure the policy benefits to which they are entitled. His clients include a wide array of corporate policyholders throughout California and Washington in disputes involving commercial property and liability policies – including general liability, directors and officers liability, employment practices liability, and errors & omissions (professional) liability coverage, among others – and has represented policyholders in every stage of both reimbursement claims by insurers against their insureds, and in bad faith claims against insurers.
Using his deep understanding of insurance coverage principles, Yaniv also serves as a trusted advisor to his clients on the use of insurance products to shift and mitigate operational risk. His experience in coverage litigation, including reimbursement actions by insurers and bad faith actions by insureds, showcases his ability to navigate intricate insurance-related legal challenges.
Yaniv discovered his passion for insurance coverage law while representing builders, developers, contractors and other construction industry stakeholders for much of his career. Yaniv continues to serve as trusted counsel to builders, developers, and contractors on matters involving both public and private works throughout California and Washington, and enjoys the genuine, hard-working individuals that make up the construction industry. From the initial stages of contract negotiation to project completion, Yaniv handles a range of issues arising during construction, such as performance and payment disputes, progress claims, and mechanic’s liens. His experience extends to post-completion disputes, including warranty and construction defect claims, where his skill in negotiating complex legal matters has resulted in numerous favorable dispute resolutions.
Yaniv’s litigation experience is rounded out by the myriad business and commercial disputes he has had the pleasure to both defend and prosecute during his career. His approach to legal representation – whether as counselor or advocate – reflects a commitment to providing thoughtful, strategically efficient solutions.
Yaniv is a proud veteran of the United States Marine Corps, and served in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Following his service in the Marine Corps, Yaniv earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from the University of California – Berkeley, Haas School of Business. Yaniv went on to earn his Juris Doctor from the University of San Francisco School of Law.
When he’s not providing his clients with outstanding legal services, Yaniv enjoys spending his free time with his spouse and young daughter. Yaniv also enjoys the occasional round of not-so-great golf.
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
- B.S., University of California, Berkeley
Areas Of Practice
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
Our construction attorneys have substantial experience with the diverse and often complex aspects of the construction business.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, by Best Lawyers in America® – Construction Law
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, by Best Lawyers in America® – Commercial Litigation
- Rising Star by Super Lawyers – Construction Litigation, 2020-2021
- Rising Star by Super Lawyers – Insurance Coverage
ARTICLES AND PRESENTATION
- Co-Presenter, “Are You and Your Clients Paying Enough Attention to Cyber-Risk?” San Diego County Bar Association, October 20, 2023
- Author, “Developers and Contractors Are Potentially Liable For Subcontractors’ Employees’ Unpaid Wages,” Firm Newsletter
- Author, “California Court of Appeal Expands Insurance Coverage for Wage and Hour Litigation Under EPLI Policies,” Firm Newsletter
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member, Construction Law Section, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, Building Industry Association of San Diego
- Member, Claims Litigation Management Alliance
- Member, Southern California Trades Association