Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Darien Key is an associate attorney who works out of our Oakland office in our Land Use practice group. Darien’s practice focuses on CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act), public interest law, municipal law (such as Brown Act compliance, Public Records Act, Conflicts of Interest, etc.), environmental, energy and natural resources matters, land use, and litigation.
Born and raised in Bakersfield, CA, Darien initially studied history with the intention of becoming a History professor. His love of politics, and a desire to know how the law actually works though led him to continue his education by attending law school in San Diego. Darien enjoys helping people, businesses, and local governments solve their problems by translating “legalize” into everyday language that helps clients make the necessary decisions to push projects forward. In his role, he becomes the face of the law – forming solid relationships, and having his clients’ backs every step of the way in their legal matters.
Outside of work, Darien is a workout warrior who enjoys hiking, weight lifting, and rock climbing, as well as just relaxing with his two dogs and two cats. He’s also a great cook inspired by the creativity offered by his epicurean adventures – ask him about his go-to lasagna dish!
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law
- B.A., cum laude, San Diego State University
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Awards and Honors
- CALI Awards (Highest Grade) at the University of San Diego School of Law in Ocean, Coast Law and Animal Law Classes
- Donald Weckstein Scholarship, awarded annually to law students based on their contribution to the University of San Diego School of Law
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member, Contra Costa Solid Waste Local Enforcement Agency Independent Hearing Panel, October 2022 – Present
Articles and Presentations
- American Bar Association, Water Resources Newsletter, Mexican Sewage in American Waters: Who Is Responsible for Fixing the Sewage Crisis?
- Hanson Bridgett, The Brown Act Finally Meets Social Media.
- Hanson Bridgett, Governor’s Executive Order N-42-20 Restricts the Ability of Water Service Providers to Shut Off Water Service.