Elise O’Brien is a director in our Irvine office who works in our Agribusiness and Employment Law Practice Groups. Elise has extensive experience representing employers in federal and state court litigation involving wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wage and hour claims. She has successfully represented management in various administrative forums, including the Division of Labor Standards and Enforcement, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the National Labor Relations Board.
Elise devotes a significant portion of her practice to advising employers on a broad spectrum of employment matters, including employee discipline, terminations, leaves of absence, and wage and hour issues. Elise regularly assists employers in drafting employment policies and handbooks to ensure compliance with California, Washington, and federal law.
In addition to her employment practice, Elise practices agricultural law and has over 15 years’ experience enforcing trust rights of produce sellers under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act (PACA) in U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts throughout the United States, including managing complex, multi-party PACA litigation. She also represents produce companies and individuals in administrative proceedings before the PACA Branch of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Outside of work, Elise enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband and two young children.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Chapman University School of Law
- Notes Editor, Chapman Law Review
- Dean’s Fellow
- B.S., magna cum laude, Wright State University
- Beta Gamma Sigma
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Our experienced agricultural attorneys provide a broad range of assistance to clients, both domestically and internationally, in many areas of agribusiness and agricultural law.
ARTICLES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Featuring, “How Small Firms Can Trim The Burden Of Administrative Work,” Law360, November 23, 2022
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, State Bar of Washington
- Past Chair of the Agribusiness Committee, Business Law Section, California Lawyers Association
- Past Vice-Chair of Programs of the Agribusiness Committee, Business Law Section, California Lawyers Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Member, King County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington