J. CHRISTOPHER GOOCH
J. CHRISTOPHER GOOCH
J. Christopher Gooch heads our real estate litigation practice. Chris represents clients in business matters including breach of contract, business torts, fraud, entitlement litigation, boundary disputes, condemnation actions, title disputes, landlord-tenant matters, professional malpractice, and construction law. His clients include a broad spectrum of entities, ranging from Fortune 500 corporations to entrepreneurs. Through his ongoing representation of various investors and operators as a business litigation attorney, Chris has also developed an expertise and understanding of Arizona’s medical marijuana industry and regulations.
Always an innovator in the legal field, part of Chris’ business litigation practice works with our commercial contingency litigation group where shared risk equals shared success. As a seasoned litigation attorney, he likes to help clients solve problems and reach the best financial outcomes possible given the legal circumstances and facts. He invests time at the onset to evaluate the case, consider possible outcomes and counsel his clients. He represents clients in state and federal courts, at arbitration and in mediation settings.
Chris is a big supporter of his child’s school basketball team. Outside of his work as a real estate litigation attorney, he also volunteers his time with the Boy Scouts of America and arts organizations within the State.
- J.D., University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law
- B.A., magna cum laude, Claremont McKenna College
- Graduate, NITA Deposition Skills Seminar
- Kozolchyk Award for Outstanding Published Student Note, Journal of International and Comparative Law, 1998
- Senior Articles Editor, Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law, 1997-1998
- Omicron Delta Epsilon, Economic Honor Society, 1995
Areas Of Practice
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
Our construction attorneys have substantial experience with the diverse and often complex aspects of the construction business.
Fennemore has one of the most robust estate and trust litigation practices in the Southwest and California.
Welcome to one of the largest and most sophisticated estate planning practices in the Southwest and California.
Our health care attorneys serve a range of clients within the ever-expanding realm of healthcare law. We offer a comprehensive suite of services that touches on every aspect of the healthcare industry.
Our real estate practice is one of the largest in the American West, including Arizona, California, Colorado and Nevada with experience in all aspects of the real estate development process, from due diligence, acquisition and finance, through land use permitting and entitlements, to leasing and sale.
Thoughtful and careful preparation of estate plan documents is key to wealth preservation and transition. Proper implementation and diligent administration are equally critical.
- Business Torts
- Commercial Contingency Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Real Estate Litigation
- Obtained summary judgment for developer and national homebuilder in dispute with county arising from a negotiated development agreement.
- Successfully represented developer in litigation against the engineering firm that provided civil engineering services. Achieved full policy limits settlement prior to trial.
- Represented general contractor in a ten week arbitration involving contractor’s multi-million dollar claim against a municipality.
- Obtained summary judgment for client on a $2.5 million claim arising from the sale of client’s business.
- Achieved successful result in dispute between professional athlete and the client’s former investment advisors.
- Defended general contractor against $400,000 claim brought by subcontractor. Obtained favorable result for client through alternative dispute resolution.
- Represented homebuilder in defect action brought by home owners’ association. Secured summary judgment and award of attorneys’ fees in homebuilder’s favor.
- Represented real estate investment company and its members in breach of contract and fraud dispute. Individual members were exposed to personal liability. Obtained judgment dismissing action and awarding fees to client.
- Successfully represented Fortune 500 company in dispute with national accounting firm arising from financial restatements and accounting errors. Achieved favorable result for client prior to ruling on motions for summary judgment.
- Negotiated favorable result for ranching client in land use dispute with state agency.
- Represented mortgage companies in litigation arising from their business activities.
- Represented commercial property owner in dispute with a former tenant’s secured creditor.
- Represented a municipality in a commercial dispute with a professional sports franchise.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, 2016-2023
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation, 2013-2023
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who, 2001-2003
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Articles and Presentations
- Author, “Their Take: A Broader Banking Solution for Arizona’s Cannabis Industry Would Promote Growth,” inBusiness, May 19, 2023
- Interview, “Hitting the High Notes on 4-20,” Fennemore Blog, April 15, 2021
- Co-author, “There is no such thing as a permanent golf course view. Or is there?” Arizona Attorney Magazine, October 1, 2020
- Co-author, “Commercial Leases in the Age of COVID-19,” Fennemore Client Alert, May 6, 2020
- Co-author, “4 Legal Arguments for Contract Disputes Following Stay at Home Declaration,” Attorney at Law Magazine, April 10, 2020
- Co-author, “How Might the Government’s ‘Stay at Home’ Declaration Impact Contractual Relationships and Performance Obligations?” Fennemore Client Alert, April 6, 2020
- Quoted, “As Vaping Deaths Mount, Cannabis Bros Smell Opportunity,” Time, October 17, 2019
- Quoted, “What Technology Will Most Impact the Cannabis Industry? 24 Experts Share Their Insights,” Disruptor Daily, June 27, 2019
- Quoted, “What Trends Are Shaping the Cannabis Industry in 2019? 25 Experts Weigh In,” Disruptor Daily, June 24, 2019
- Quoted, “What’s the Future of the Cannabis Industry? 28 Experts Share Their Perspectives,” Disruptor Daily, June 21, 2019
- Speaker, “Preparing Your Employees for Deposition,” ACC Arizona Chapter Event, June 7, 2018
- Interview, “Attorney Talks Cards Against Humanity Border Land Purchase,” AZ Family, November 20, 2017
- Interview, “Here’s What You Need to Do,” 550 KFYI, September 14, 2017
- Interview, “Your Rights Against Equifax After the Massive Data Breach,” KTAR, September 13, 2017
- Author, “Who Is The Prevailing Party? (Ariz. Sup. Ct. Changes Analysis In Awarding Attorneys’ Fees In Arizona Contract Disputes),” LinkedIn, May 11, 2017
- Author, “Contracts Related to MMJ Are Enforceable in Arizona,” LinkedIn, April 18, 2017
- Co-author, “U.S. v. McIntosh – New Ninth Circuit Case,” Fennemore Client Alert, August 22, 2016
- Co-author, “New Medical Marijuana Dispensary Registration Certificates Being Issued,” Fennemore Client Alert, Jun 16, 2016
Professional and community activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Civil Jury Instructions Committee, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Chairman, 44th Annual Cowboy Artists of America Sale and Exhibition
- Member, Arizona Business Leadership
- Cub Scouts Pack 6, Leader, Boy Scouts of America
- President, Scottsdale Artists School, 2012-2013
- Board Member and Past President, Phoenix Men’s Arts Council, 2011-2012
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit