June Monroe is a director in our Irvine office who works in our Agribusiness and Employment Law Practice Groups. June climbed her way to the top by starting her legal career as a receptionist and then to a legal assistant. In 2008, she found herself a single mom of two young boys and wanting more for their future. While working fulltime and raising her family, June attended law school. In 2012, she made the natural transition into an associate attorney and eventually partner.
June practices employment law, agricultural law, commercial law, secured transactions and general business law. She provides a wide range of services to agribusinesses – from startup formation to operating challenges. She concentrates on federal litigation, in district court and bankruptcy court, to enforce produce suppliers’ statutory rights under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act (PACA). She has recovered multi-million dollars in complex multi-party PACA actions. June also assists agribusiness marketers in perfecting security interests in growing crops and related secured transactions under the adopted provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code and the Federal Food Security Act.
In addition to her agricultural law practice, June also advises employers in employment and general business law matters. She has represented employers on wage and hour civil actions claims and wage and hour investigations and hearings before the U.S. Department of Labor and California Labor Commissioner. She has also successfully won unemployment insurance benefit appeals in multiple states. June has assisted numerous employers in developing employee handbooks. She also regularly advises companies on everyday employment challenges from hiring practices, wage and hour issues, employment classification, sick time, protected leave laws, layoffs, and termination practices – to best practices to avoid discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims.
June is the current Vice-Chair of Programs of the Agribusiness Committee; Business Law Section, California Lawyers Association for the State Bar of California.
Outside of work, June enjoys painting on canvas and murals. She also regularly volunteers at a local community food bank distribution center.
- J.D., Concord Law School
- B.A., California State University, Fullerton
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Our experienced agricultural attorneys provide a broad range of assistance to clients, both domestically and internationally, in many areas of agribusiness and agricultural law.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member, State Bar of California
- Vice-Chair of Programs of the Agribusiness Committee; Business Law Section, California Lawyers Association
- Past Vice-Chair of Publications of the Agribusiness Committee; Business Law Section, California Lawyers Association
- Member, Orange County Women Lawyers Association
Awards and Honors
- Recipient, Orange County Women Lawyers Association’s Diversity Bar Stipend Scholarship, May 2012
Articles and Presentations
- Interview, “If you want it, go get it,” Fennemore Blog, December 8, 2022
- “PACA Trust,” On-Demand Webinar for The Blue Book Services, Inc.’s New Hire Academy
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California