I think people really underestimate the power of just wanting to do it, and hard work, and competitive spirit, and preparation.
Michael P. Robertson
Michael is an experienced litigator and complex case manager. Over the past decade, Michael has litigated a broad range of cases in state and federal courts across the country primarily in the areas of commercial, fiduciary, and real estate litigation. Michael’s clients span from family businesses to Fortune 500 companies and the Denver Broncos Football Club. Regardless of the gravity of the matter before him, Michael provides efficient representation to his clients from the outset of litigation through trial or appeal.
Prior to attending law school, Michael worked as an accountant for a Fortune 500 company. He utilizes his accounting background while working closely with his corporate clients and case experts on highly-technical matters involving corporate finance, accounting, and tax law issues.
Michael has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Colorado Super Lawyers Magazine every year since 2016. Michael is also active in alumni organizations for the universities he attended and was appointed to the University of Miami School of Law Young Alumni Committee in 2015. Michael earned his law degree from the University of Miami School of Law in Coral Gables, Florida, where he focused his studies in the area of tax law.
When not working, Michael can be found spending time with his wife and three children, cheering for his beloved LSU Tigers, or on the golf course.
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law
- B.A., Louisiana State University
Areas Of Practice
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
Fennemore has one of the most robust estate and trust litigation practices in the Southwest and California.
Our real estate practice is one of the largest in the American West, including Arizona, California, Colorado and Nevada with experience in all aspects of the real estate development process, from due diligence, acquisition and finance, through land use permitting and entitlements, to leasing and sale.
- Trusts and Estates Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Accountant Malpractice
- Represented the trustees of the Patrick D. Bowlen Trust in litigation concerning Pat Bowlen’s estate plan and plan for succession of the ownership and control of the Denver Broncos Football Club.
- Serves as general counsel for investment firm specializing in real estate development and syndicated investments. In addition to providing advice on day-to-day corporate matters, Michael has also served as lead trial counsel in multiple proceedings involving business and real estate disputes.
- Represented the Denver Broncos Football Club in numerous matters, including disputes with former ticket holders and national litigation involving pain medication prescriptions. In addition to serving as litigation counsel to the Broncos, Michael also routinely advises the club on general organizational matters and drafts policies for the club’s use and dissemination.
- Represented plaintiff guaranty associations and special deputy receiver in highly-complex litigation against multiple bank trustees, professional accounting firms, and other institutional defendants arising out of a nationwide fraudulent scheme perpetrated by a prearranged funeral service provider and its affiliated life insurance companies. Michael’s clients received significant recoveries through settlement and a jury verdict of $391 million against PNC Bank. Following the Eighth Circuit’s remand of the case against PNC, Michael played a critical role in securing a combined $106 million judgment ($99 million in compensatory and punitive damages and $7 million in attorney fees and litigation costs) against PNC Bank for breach of trust. PNC’s appeal of judgment is currently pending.
- Represented DCP Midstream, one of the nation’s largest natural gas processing companies, in a multimillion-dollar breach of contract dispute involving complex oil and gas accounting issues. Michael’s client obtained a favorable jury verdict following a six-day jury trial, which included a seven-figure award in favor of DCP on its counterclaim.
- Represented start-up tax consulting firm in a complex trade secret and non-compete dispute. Michael’s work as lead counsel on this matter resulted in his client obtaining a favorable pre-trial settlement.
- Participated in confidential representation of Fortune 500 company to conduct internal investigation into potential internal controls failure and misreporting to an outside auditor.
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2023
- Colorado Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2016-2022
Articles and Presentations
Professional and community activities
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Young Alumni Committee, University of Miami School of Law
- Denver Bar Association
- Boulder Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado