The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with, but whether it’s the same problem you had last year.
- John Foster Dulles
SUSAN STONE ROSENFIELD
Susan’s experience extends to a wide variety of industries, including agriculture, mining, food manufacturing, packaging and distribution, water treatment, pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements, cosmetics, educational training, software, solar energy, telecommunications, construction, financial services, hospitality, restaurants, hotels, entertainment, leisure/recreation, physical fitness and yoga, and equine products and services. She also regularly represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, as well as lenders, such as banks and venture capitalists.
As the daughter of an attorney, Susan has always loved to write, and she worked as a journalist while pursuing her undergrad before committing to the patent law specialty track. She went to law school at night, and worked full time for patent law firms during the day, starting her career in law performing patent and trademark searches. In her current work as an attorney, she enjoys helping her clients advance their business by proactively avoiding problems where possible, and finding practical approaches to solve problems. She firmly believes business owners should focus on running their businesses, as she efficiently manages their intellectual property portfolios and issues.
Susan is also the Chairperson of the firm’s pro bono committee and is actively involved with the Fennemore Foundation.
Susan and her family, along with four dogs of their own, have fostered countless puppies over the years with a soft spot for organizations like Luv of Dogz Fund and Saving Paws Rescue Arizona. She is also on the board of directors for Envision Therapeutic Horsemanship, and when not riding horses, you will probably find Susan in her vegetable garden.
- J.D., Patent Law Specialty Track, George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School
- B.S., Biology, Virginia Tech
- Member of national leadership Honor Society Caucus, Omicron Delta Kappa
Areas Of Practice
Create. Protect. Thrive.
Your Technology and Intellectual Property Assets Are The Lifeblood Of Your Business: We Partner With You To Protect Your Critical IP —and To Identify and Implement IP Strategies To Help You Thrive.
Our experienced agricultural attorneys provide a broad range of assistance to clients, both domestically and internationally, in many areas of agribusiness and agricultural law.
Our business and finance attorneys represent national, regional and local clients participating in significant transactions.
Our business attorneys recognize and appreciate the value of entrepreneurship and innovation, and are committed to providing efficient, straightforward and business-oriented solutions that facilitate success and avoid pitfalls while recognizing early capital is precious and expensive.
Our privacy and data security practice addresses the administrative, regulatory and litigation concerns of business in the face of mounting threats and increasing state and federal regulation in the areas of data privacy, data breach and security.
- Emerging Businesses and Technologies
- Life Sciences
- Renewable Energy and Clean Tech
- Restaurant and Food Services
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice, Patent Law, Trademark Law, 2016-2024
- Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Patent Law, 2017, 2022
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Articles and Presentations
- Featuring, “Artificial intelligence and the law,” Jewish News, October 18, 2023
- Featured, “Attorneys help businesses stay on top of social and regulatory changes,” inBusiness, June 2022
- Panelist, “IP Strategies to Protect Your Business,” Arizona BioPreneur Conference, March 25, 2022
- Panelist, “#SCGGlobalSpin?: COVID-19 and Life Sciences, a Global Panel Discussion,” SCG Global Spin, January 25, 2021
- Co-author, “Ownership of Employee Inventions,” Fennemore Client Alert, January 7, 2020
- Speaker, “Wild and Domestic Arizona Horses (and Mules),” 2016 Equine Law Summit, March 2016
Professional and community activities
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Past Chairperson, Intellectual Property Law Section, State Bar of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Registered Patent Attorney U.S. Patent and Trademark Office