I learned through experience that being friendly is a significant strength. Kindness, respect and an interest in others go a long way.
A seasoned trial attorney, Amy represents leading law firms and attorneys in the defense of professional liability claims, drawing upon her substantial courtroom experience. Amy brings a results-oriented commitment to every matter from day one. Her approach is pragmatic, strategic, organized and efficient. Adept at leading legal teams, she has wide-ranging experience in business litigation, professional liability defense, employment law, public records law, and complex e-discovery issues.
Amy is licensed to practice in Arizona, Nevada and California. She is experienced in all phases of litigation including bench and jury trials, arbitration, mediation, administrative proceedings and investigations. Amy represents businesses in complex commercial matters, and she frequently litigates covenants not to compete and other restrictive covenants, often in compressed evidentiary proceedings. She defends employers against discrimination, harassment, breach of contract, wrongful discharge and employment-related tort claims. Amy counsels employers on personnel policies, investigations, and related employment issues, including offer letters, executive employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, separation agreements, confidentiality agreements, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.
Amy represents businesses in litigation arising under Arizona’s public records law. She also counsels litigants on e-discovery matters, including document management, preservation, litigation holds, document analysis and discovery of electronically stored information.
Following nomination by her fellow partners, Amy served for several years on the firm’s management committee. A natural leader, she made the difficult decision to rotate off management in 2018 to more narrowly focus her talents on her first passion, serving her clients.
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law
- B.S., with distinction, San Diego State University
- Former Judicial Extern, Court of Appeals, Fourth Appellate District, State of California
Areas Of Practice
Our professional liability practice group offers service and experience in all aspects of professional liability, including conflict avoidance through counseling, dispute resolution through mediation and arbitration, representation in actual or threatened litigation, and representation in professional licensing and disciplinary proceedings.
Our health care attorneys serve a range of clients within the ever-expanding realm of healthcare law. We offer a comprehensive suite of services that touches on every aspect of the healthcare industry.
Experienced, forward-thinking advocates who go beyond the expected for clients in dispute prevention and resolution.
- Business Torts
- Commercial Contingency Litigation
- E-Discovery and Data Management
- Public Records Law
- Tort and Insurance Litigation
- Secured defense verdict on legal malpractice claims, and a seven-figure award of attorneys’ fees on a counterclaim, following a 12-day jury trial (Maricopa County Superior Court).
- Secured judgment in favor of private entity prohibiting production of records under Arizona’s public records laws.
- Published Opinions: Malcolm v. Farmers New World Life Insurance Company (1992) 4 Cal. App. 4th 296 (life insurance case) and Smith v. Superior Court (1993) 10 Cal. App. 4th 1033 (legal malpractice).
- Bench trial to enforce restrictive covenants, settled mid-trial, for over $2.5 million in favor of client (U.S. District Court – Nevada).
- Two-week jury trial on claims for sexual harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation and interference with contract (U.S. District Court – Tucson) – defense verdict.
- One-week jury trial on harassment and discrimination claims (U.S. District Court – Nevada) – defense verdict.
- One-week jury trial on pregnancy discrimination and wrongful termination claims (U.S. District Court – Phoenix) – defense verdict.
- Non-suit of harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims (U.S. District Court – Nevada).
- Secured temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against departing employee and competitor (U.S. District Court – Central District of California, Southern Division).
- Secured preliminary and permanent injunction against departing employee and competitor (U.S. District Court – Nevada).
- Dissolved temporary restraining order and defeated motion for preliminary injunction sought against departing employee (Maricopa County Superior Court).
- Various summary judgments on employment-related and other claims.
- Numerous restraining orders and injunctions secured to enforce restrictive covenants.
- Numerous no-cause findings on charges filed with EEOC, ACRD, NERC and NMHRD.
- Bench trial for plaintiff to enforce commercial contract (U.S. District Court – Central District of California, Southern Division) – judgment for plaintiff in excess of $1,000,000.
- One-week jury trial for plaintiff in equine litigation against an insurance company and insurance broker (U.S. District Court – Central District of California) – plaintiff’s verdict.
- Secured dismissal of defamation action against dentists and professional organization (District Court – Nevada).
- Secured summary judgments for national life insurance companies on disability/ERISA claims (U.S. District Court – Nevada).
- Trial-styled arbitration – defense on defamation and slander claims (Ventura County Superior Court).
- Summary Judgment on abuse of process and malicious prosecution claims (Pima County Superior Court).
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2023
- AZ Business Leaders, AZ Big Media, 2022
- Top 100 Lawyers, AZ Big Media, 2022
- Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers for Business, 2020-2021
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Top 25 Women in Arizona, 2020-2021
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation, 2017-2021
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Employment Law Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment, Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2014-2023
- Top 100 Lawyers, AZ Business Magazine, 2020
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, 2016-2019
- Selected, “Most Influential Women in Arizona Business,” AZ Business Magazine, 2015
- bizAZ’s, “Up-And-Coming-Attorneys,” 2005
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Articles and Presentations
- Interview, “Determine What is Important to You and Fully Commit to Making it a Priority,” Fennemore Blog, August 19, 2021
- Quoted, “Let’s Celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day,” Fennemore Blog, February 18, 2021
- Quoted, “e-Discovery Process Impacted by Covid-19 Crisis?” Legal Reader, June 15 2020
- Co-author, “COVID-19: Health Plan Coverage For Furloughed Employees,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 26, 2020
- Co-author, “Understanding the Emergency Family Medical Leave Expansion Act and Emergency Paid Sick Leave in the Families First Coronavirus Response Act,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 20, 2020
- Co-author, “Frequently Asked Questions About the Coronavirus in the Employment Setting,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 17, 2020
- Quoted, “If I Knew Then,” Crain’s Phoenix, March 2017
Professional and community activities
- Member, Labor and Employment Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, The Sedona Conference Working Group 1 on Electronic Documents Retention and Production
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors, Christian Family Care Agency
- Past Chair, Labor and Employment Section, State Bar of Arizona
- Past Chair-Elect, Treasurer and Secretary, Labor and Employment Section, State Bar of Arizona
- Past Chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Labor and Employment Section, State Bar of Arizona
- Past Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Section, State Bar of Arizona’s Annual Convention
- Former Arbitrator, Orange County Bar Association Mandatory Fee Arbitration Committee
- Former Barrister, William P. Gray Legion Lex Inn of Court Foundation
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit