THOMAS W. ALDOUS, JR.
THOMAS W. ALDOUS, JR.
T.J. is of counsel in the trusts, estates and wealth preservation practice group where he is adept at counseling clients, building client trust and managing client relationships. He possesses experience in estate planning, trust formation and administration, tax controversy and IRS audits, business contracts, real estate and commercial leases, and tax matters with the ability to understand and negotiate complex agreements.
Early in his career, T.J. thought that he wanted to be a dentist, but that field’s loss is the legal field’s gain. He has earned a J.D. from the University of Kansas, and a Master of Laws (in taxation) from NYU, and has years of working, speaking, and publishing on many topics in the trusts and tax arenas. He especially likes helping people, defending their interests, resolving their problems, and relieving their burdens. T.J. takes to heart the interests of his clients, putting himself in their shoes, and often stubbornly digging in until he can find a solution to help guide them to the goals that they want to accomplish.
T.J. and his wife have two older children, as well as an 11-year-old still at home, and while not working on homework, they like to hike followed by lots of cooking, and baking – and enjoying family meals together.
- LL.M., Taxation, New York University School of Law
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law
- B.A., Brigham Young University
- Order of the Coif
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Federal Income Taxation
- Staff, University of Kansas Law Review
Areas Of Practice
Fennemore has one of the most robust estate and trust litigation practices in the Southwest and California.
Welcome to one of the largest and most sophisticated estate planning practices in the Southwest and California.
Thoughtful and careful preparation of estate plan documents is key to wealth preservation and transition. Proper implementation and diligent administration are equally critical.
- Estate Planning
- Private Client and Wealth Preservation
Awards and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Trusts and Estates, 2023
- Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2012
Articles and Presentations
- Quoted, “Tweets, Tips, and Taxes,” Channelchek, May 6, 2021
- Author, “Arizona Department of Revenue Extends Due Dates,” Fennemore Client Alert, April 7, 2020
- Author, “Arizona Tax Increase, Estimated Tax Payments, and Proposition 208,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 22, 2021
- Author, “Federal Return Filing Date and Tax Payment Date Extended,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 19, 2021
- Author, “Federal Tax Filing and Payment Due Dates Will Not Change,” Fennemore Client Alert, July 2, 2020
- Author, “Arizona Tax Relief vs. Federal Tax Relief,” Fennemore Client Alert, April 13, 2020
- Author, “The IRS Expands Tax Relief – Again!” Fennemore Client Alert, April 10, 2020
- Co-author, “The CARES Act: New Tax Provisions for Charitable Deductions,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 31, 2020
- Author, “Gift and GST Tax Payment and Filing Deadlines Extended,” Fennemore Client Alert, March 30, 2020
- Author, “Recent Tax Developments – December 2019 IRA and Retirement Plan Alert,” Fennemore Client Alert, December 23, 2019
Professional and community activities
- Member, State Bar of Arizona Convention Committee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court